Sunday, April 14, 2013

Poppies for Queen Bonnie

Good afternoon and thanks so much for stopping by!  Today, I would like to share a card I created to honor a dear stamper over at SplitCoast, Bonnie.  Her online gallery is a veritable smorgasbord of blossoms whether stamped, paper or both.  I decided in the spirit of her fondness for posies to create something using one of my favorite flowers, the poppy. 


We usually see them here in Kentucky around May.  They are a richly elegant flower, bringing to mind the sacrifice of so many veterans on foreign shores.  Memorial Day weekend our local VFW troop often hands them out for a small donation at local retailers.  They remind me of my father, who served in Korea, Uncles who served in WWII and great uncles who served in WWI.  I think of my forefather who stepped on these shores from his homeland of Ireland to serve in the Revolutionary War and receive as his reward, a land grant in the unknown wilds of Kentucky.  I am reminded of another forefather who served during the Civil War.  And I think of the young man, Franklin Sousley, who is buried not very far from my father in a tiny cemetery in Elizaville, Kentucky.  Who was he, you ask?  He was one of the young men famously photographed raising the American flag on Iwo Jima.  Franklin was killed just a few short days later, never to have a family of his own.  Patriotism runs deep in these parts.  And in this world our faith must run deep as well.  There is so much darkness in this old world.  Pray for our country, our world, our leaders, our military.  God bless them and God bless America!
 
Hymn Collage
 
 
Quote Collection 3
 
 
Card Recipe
Stamps - Our Daily Bread Designs - Quote Collection 3 , Hymn Collage
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics
Papers - Bazzill, Georgia Pacific
Dies - Spellbinders Picot Edge Circles, Petite Scalloped Circles Large, Standard Circles Large
Misc. - Distressing Tool
 


No comments:

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...