Thursday, November 11, 2010

Stamping in Time: On Assignment Challenge



Thanks to Betty at Our Daily Bread Designs for asking me to host today's Stamping in Time Challenge!

When I think of quilts, I think of the traditional crazy quilts that my grandmother made. Even though she passed away when I was a small child, I feel like I know her by her handiwork. Back then, quilts were stitched either on a treadle sewing machine or by hand. And she used the scraps she had available. She was "green" before it was cool! The plaids may have come from Grandpa’s old shirt and the calico may have been scraps left over from clothing for the children. One section of the quilt even looks like something left over from a necktie!

To create today’s project, I adhered scraps of designer paper and card stock to a 5 x 7 inch paper base. (This project is perfect for those leftover scraps you have lying around.) I then stitched the scraps into place with my trusty sewing machine. As you can see, I tried to pull scraps of plaids and drab colors that mimic a crazy quilt. And I purposely stitched with red thread. (My grandmother’s quilt has the same color and type of stitching.) The verse is from the recent ODBD set, Our Daily Bread. There are a few fun details too. Notice the paper piercing on the bottom of the verse? I also added some random buttons from my stash along with a couple of dress maker pins. I also decided to add a scrap of paper with a button to the bottom corner of the frame! I mounted the project inside a plain 5 x 7 inch picture frame (glass removed) from my local discount store. I plan to give this as a Christmas gift this year! Thanks for playing along this week! I can’t wait to see what creations you come up with!

Blessings,

Lori

Card Recipe

Scraps of Card Stock and Designer Paper
Sewing Machine
Spellbinders Nestabilities – Ovals Large
Stamp – Our Daily Bread Designs – Our Daily Bread
Versamark
Ranger Super Fine Detail Black Embossing Powder
Heat Gun
5 x 7 picture frame (glass removed)
buttons
dress pins
floss (on buttons)

Before stitching -



A close up of the final product... I love the pins!

3 comments:

Grace said...

Hi Lori! What a great challenge today! Thanks so much for being our hostess! Your crazy quilt looks so real I thought it was fabric until I read the description! Amazing and beautiful! How wonderful to have these memories of your grandmother too!!!

Chrissy D said...

Welcome as the Challenge host Lori!!! Love this challenge today! Your creation is gorgeous!! TFS!

Betty Wright said...

Lori, this is wonderful! I really like the crazy quilt look and the patterns and colors you used are so rich and warm. The frame gift idea is just gorgeous! Beautifully done! Again, thanks so much for hosting ODBD Stamping In Time Challenge!

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...