Thursday, November 9, 2017

How A Sepia Card Makes A Girl Feel a Bit Shady

Does anyone else remember when we all wanted to know what "season" we were?  The season determined what colors we looked good in.  My mom was an Autumn, which explained her tendency to buy anything brown.  And my season was Winter.  Winters were supposed to look good in jewel tones and were the only season that could pull off a true black or white.  It's funny, because my Mom says I always had a very distinct voice in what I wore..  even as a small child.  Apparently from an early age certain colors would not make the cut.  When the whole "season" fad came out, it became quite clear that the colors I naturally gravitated toward were the ones this trend said I should wear.  And ironically enough, to this day, I find myself gravitating toward certain colors in my home and yes, even in my cards.  

So remember that my Mom LOVES brown?  It turns out that is one of the colors that legitimately makes me nervous.  I can't even remember wearing anything brown until I was well into my fourth decade.  That is why you rarely see me try anything like that in my card making.  But today is different!  I have vowed to try something that makes me a bit nervous and color outside the box...  sort of!  Here is my sepia card using Our Daily Bread Designs' Winter Cardinal stamp set, Pine Branches Die and Pinecones Die.

 I created a center step base with a rich brown card stock and cut the Designer Paper and soft Bark DP slightly smaller than each panel.  The Papers can be found in ODBD's Vintage Ephemera Paper Collection and Ephemera Essentials Paper Pad.  I stamped the image with Espresso Truffle ink on Copic compatible paper.  (The stamp set is the November release, Winter Cardinal.  I colored the image with Copics E30, E33, E35 and E37 before die cutting with ODBD's Double Stitched Circles Die.  After embossing and before removing the die, I inked the edges of the image with a tea dye distress ink.  The mat was created with ODBD's Circles Die.  I stamped the sentiment (also with Espresso Truffle ink) and then after die cutting (ODBD's Ovals Die added a bit of distress ink.  A spray of pine branches and cones finish it off.  (ODBD's Pine Branches Die and Pinecones Die.) 

So here are a few of the items you see today featuring November release items.



and a few old favorites as well...





Thanks as always for stopping by and I hope this post inspires you to liberate your coloring!  Try something bold and new my friends...  it just might make you smile!  Blessings!

No comments:

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...