Monday, July 4, 2011

You Are Not Forgotten

Have you noticed anything different while visiting here? I have been experimenting with some new templates. And can you tell I am a red, white and blue nut? lol... I love this time of year and what it represents. I wanted to share something I found recently in a book.

"Thomas Nelson, a Virginian, commanded militia and served as governor during the Revolution. He reportedly instructed artillerymen to fire at his own house on Yorktown when he heard the British were using it as a headquarters. Nelson used his personal credit to raise money for the cause. His sacrifices left him in financial distress, and he was unable to repair his Yorktown home after the war."

(The American Patriot's Almanac, William J. Bennett, pg. 235)

Can you imagine? Having to make the decision to fire on your own home... the place you worked so hard to build? Those early patriots were a tough lot! And I thank God everyday for their vision of America.

When I saw this image from ODBD, I knew I had to create something patriotic. Poppies remind me of the paper ones the VFW sells around Memorial Day to benefit veteran causes. Talk about another tough bunch. Our servicemen and women do an incredible job. And let's not forget their families. They sacrifice just as much, if not more! It is my prayer this July 4th that not one will be forgotten... whether they served over 200 years ago on the battlefield of Yorktown or today in the sands of the Middle East. God Bless those who have served this country past and present. And GOD BLESS AMERICA! Blessings to you and yours!



Recipe

Card Stock - Neenah Solar Crest, Bazzill
Stamps - ODBD - Serve the Lord, Not Forgotten
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic
Scor-Pal, Ribbon, Pearls

4 comments:

Snowmanlover said...

Lori, your blog looks so gorgeous! You are so talented!!!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Happy 4th my friend! Lori, girl, your card is amazing! I absolutely love that scored BG you've created and the combination of stamps....fabulous! I also love your new Blog outfit and there ain't nothing wrong with being a red, white and blue nut :D:D Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Tam said...

great card - love the diamond embossing with pearls.

Rosemary said...

stunning card, lori!

Surprise!!! It's Best Bunny!

There is something about Granny Apple Green that just brings a smile to my face!  When the first signs of Spring appear you are sure to see...